The Council of Churches in Zambia has been in existence since 1914. It was first called the General Missionary Conference and its main responsibility was to promote cooperation between the missionary societies in areas such as education, health and religious broadcasting. The name was later changed to the Christian Council of Northern Rhodesia in 1944.
At the eve of independence in 1963, there was pressing need for the Council to begin responding to the growing social demands of the people. Upon independence in 1964, the CCNR changed its name to Christian Council of Zambia. At the 26th General Conference, the current name, Council of Churches in Zambia, was adopted to conform to the current duties and composition of the member churches belonging to CCZ.